fillet mignon with fig & kalamata relish

~ fig and kalamata relish ~

This is a flavorful, wine-soaked fig and olive relish that pairs well with grilled meat, and is especially good with lamb chops or fillet mignon. Serve with a glass of syrah.

7 oz. black mission figs, stems removed

1 cup dry red wine

7 oz. pitted, kalamata olives

3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

2 additional Tablespoons dry red wine

freshly ground black pepper

sea salt

In a small saucepan, combine the figs and wine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer over low heat until figs are plump (15-20 minutes.) Drain the figs and transfer to a food processor. Add the olives and zip a few times until finely chopped. Transfer to a small mixing bowl. Add the oil, the extra red wine, pepper and salt to taste. Serve on your favorite grilled meat.

6 comments for “fillet mignon with fig & kalamata relish

1. November 18, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Oh how I love figs… I bought some “Indian Figs” once from a store thinking they’d be similar. Boy was I in for a rude surprise when I realised they wre prickly pears. Great looking dish 🙂 Figs make the world go round I think!

November 18, 2011 at 8:43 pm

I love them too….on salads, on cheese plates…and they really do elevate the humble piece of beef. Enjoy 😉

2. November 20, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Funny, I was thinking about figs the other day. I was enjoying a guilt free time-for-myself (stuck at the dentist office waiting room) read of an upscale cooking mag and saw a recipe including figs. I’ve never even bought a fig! This recipe looks way better… sending to printer…. xoxo

November 20, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Figs are so yummy 🙂 This is a great, approachable introduction to them. Love this easy recipe. Enjoy! xoxo

3. Kimber
    November 21, 2011 at 10:30 pm

I don’t know if I’ve ever had a fig before…but anything wine soaked has got to be good!!!!

November 21, 2011 at 10:32 pm