thrift store score

What I bought…

silver plate server

a dimpled glass shaker

dessert plate

orphaned tea cup

retro pyrex covered glass bowls

what I left behind…

this pretty turquoise-blue popcorn glass pitcher and glasses

If the set is still there when I return, I may have to buy them. So pretty!

Today my friend Nancy and I got together and went on a little thrifting adventure downtown Red Wing. I was so happy with my finds! I have a whole stash of previous thrift store scores that I discovered while on a late night thrifting outing with the hubby. I also purchased some things from my friend Clare before she put them in her garage sale.  I’m itching to post pictures of these treasures!…but, all in good time.

Anyhoo, today after thrifting, Nancy ordered Chinese take out, we went back to her place, munched shrimp fried rice and beef lomein, and watched the first three hours of Downton Abbey on her big screen TV. Bliss!

What are you up to this weekend?

XO,

12 comments for “thrift store score

1. November 12, 2011 at 4:55 pm

I’m digging that silver platter thing in the first pic – perfect for serving out the sherry on (à la Frasier style!) 🙂

November 12, 2011 at 6:04 pm

OOH! great idea! LOVE Frasier 🙂

• November 12, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Yay, another Frasier liker – That show really doesn’t get enough love – I always found it such a good show. Really funny too. I recently watched the whole series again. Brought back a lot of memories – they used to air it on Friday nights in the UK, around 10.30pm I think. I used to have to go to bed early then because I had to wake up early on Saturdays to go and work in the bakery of a local store and I was also so sad to miss the show!

November 12, 2011 at 6:15 pm

I loved the exchanges between Niles and Frasier. TOO funny! All of the hoitey toitey, obscure references made me laugh. And Daphne…loved her references to English food and tea. LOL 😉 I really do miss that show! I may have to rewatch too! Say, another show I’m enjoying now (totally different genre) is Downton Abbey. Have you seen it?

• November 12, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Never seen it – I’ve heard of it, but to be honest I don’t watch much TV. These days I’ll watch The Mentalist, maybe some Big Bang Theory, and maybe some Gilmore Girls – oops, that’s my embarassing little secret :p

November 12, 2011 at 6:21 pm

LOL! Awesome. I watch Big Bang. Sheldon is awesome 🙂

• November 12, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Haha, everyone loves Sheldon – to be honest he reminds me so much of a really annoying guy I used to know so he’s probably my least favourite character, except maybe Howard. He does say some comedic gems though. Penny however…. now that’s a different matter (drool) 😉

November 12, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Well, you’ll get no argument there. Penny *is* hot 😉

2. November 13, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I love the things you found! I can’t believe you left the turquoise pitcher and glasses though… DEE-VINE! I also love the sweet little square tea cup in the front left of the picture… I love little orphaned tea cups, and Japanese Tea cups and Sake sets. I have a couple of each and can’t seem to find any more around here. What is ironic is that I find a lot of Fiesta Wear in my area… and it really isn’t my style.. but I know how popular it has been… I should start buying and reselling it! 🙂

November 13, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Thanks! yeah, the turquoise set is beautiful…even better in person. I didn’t want to spend $20 on the set because I’m pretty sure if I wait it will still be there a week from now for $10 😉 Then I will swoop in! I’m not a real fan of Fiesta myself. I do have a couple pieces, but overall, not my favorite. Reselling would be a great idea!

3. Adeline
    November 17, 2011 at 11:53 am

You always have such beautiful thrift store treasures and not once in my life have I been able to find anything at a thrift store! The only places where I can find anything are at antique stores and I’d be lucky if I’d ever be able to purchase something affordable. Do you have any ideas on how to shop thrift stores or which ones are bettr then others? Let me know! I love old ‘vintage’ pieces and the thrift stores around the twin cities just don’t cut it.

November 17, 2011 at 11:59 am

I’ve noticed that the thrift stores in Red Wing seem to be better than a lot of other ones. Maybe it’s because of all the antique dealers in the area? I’ve never found as many good deals on vintage and antique as I have since I’ve lived here. Another GREAT thing to look for are estate sales. We just hit one this past weekend and I made quite a haul 😉 Hope this helps!