yuzu ginger tea wafers

~ yuzu ginger tea wafers ~

“I use a combination of lemon and tangerine juice in these wafers to simulate the lovely, complex flavor of yuzu, a Japanese citrus fruit that is not easy to find. Don’t be tempted to replace the fresh juices with bottled yuzu juice that is available at specialty food shops; the juice is preserved with salt and doesn’t work well with sweets.” ~Sally Schneider Food and Wine Magazine, December 2000

I made these yesterday for teatime and they turned out absolutely fantastic. The fresh ginger, citrus juices and citrus zest paired with a cup of jasmine pearl tea, is divine.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

1/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature

2/3 cup sugar

1 and 1/4 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest

1 and 1/4 teaspoons finely grated tangerine zest

1 teaspoon finely grated, fresh ginger

1 egg

1 and 1/2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1 and 1/2 Tablespoons fresh tangerine juice

1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup unbleached, all purpose flour

In a medium bowl, beat the butter with the sugar, citrus zests and ginger at high speed until pale and fluffy. Beat in the egg, juices, vanilla and salt. Then beat in the flour.

kitchen tip ~ ginger is easy to peel when you use a small spoon

Lightly grease a large, heavy cookie sheet. Drop 1/2 teaspoon-size mounds of batter onto the prepared sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart.

Using your index finger, or the back of a spoon, swirl each mound of batter into a 2 inch round.

Bake the wafers for 6 to 7 minutes or until the edges are beginning to turn golden brown. While the wafers are still hot, use a thin, metal spatula to transfer them to wire racks to cool completely.

Repeat with the remaining batter (regreasing the cookie sheet for every batch.) Pack the cooled wafers in tins and store at room temperature.

Happy Teatime Tuesday!

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

11 comments for “yuzu ginger tea wafers

1. Dana
    November 8, 2011 at 2:05 pm

These look amazing. Going on my To Try Soon list. Thank you!

November 8, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Enjoy sweetie! 🙂

2. November 8, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Yuzu? That’s a new one on me. And that’s what I love about connecting with folks like you – learning all kinds of new things! It reminds me of fortune cookie recipe I have that when they come off the sheet they look like this and get bent-up, of course, into fortune cookies. Looks like a fun recipe to try with my son who I’m trying to steer into a food services career. He loves to cook AND eat.

November 8, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I’ve only found the actual yuzu fruit a few times at the hoity toity (kind of lovely) grocery stores here in Minnesota. The combination of tangerine and lemon is pretty darn close and much easier to locate 🙂 These little wafers are light and burst with flavor. Be sure to pair them with jasmine tea if you want the full effect. xoxo

November 8, 2011 at 6:17 pm

3. November 10, 2011 at 3:25 am

How lovely – they remind me a little of some cookies I buy from time to time here here which are flavoured with Earl Grey tea. Really thin and delicate and light. I’ve never tried Yuzu, though it sounds delicious. There’s a few Japanese grocery stores in Paris – I’m sure I could find the stuff there!

November 10, 2011 at 7:56 am

Hello Charles,
      I love the idea of flavoring cookies with Earl Grey. I’m going to try to find a recipe. There was a tearoom where I worked, only a block from my home, for close to 10 years. We made a chocolate tea cake with Earl Grey in it. 🙂 I’ll send you the recipe if you like. 😉

• November 10, 2011 at 8:31 am

Mmm, chocolate tea cake with Earl Grey – sounds yummy. I’d love it if you were able to find it… thanks a lot!

November 10, 2011 at 8:42 am

You’re welcome! I’ll send it your way sometime today 🙂

4. Ruth Cobb
    August 8, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I love the texture of the milanos. These look very smilar and of course the citrus flavor would work with chocolate. Thank you

August 8, 2013 at 8:42 pm