tea room chicken salad

tearoomchicsaladfinal

~ tea room chicken salad ~

This was a favorite at my friend Bonnie’s tea room, the Tale of Two Sisters, here in Red Wing Minnesota. The tea room is no longer open, but this recipe is legendary. Try it and see why!

Because the size of chicken breasts varies so much, I like to make this recipe by “taste.” It’s so easy, only a few ingredients, so it’s definitely a recipe where you don’t need exact measurements. It turns out great every time.

3 or 4 large, boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1/4 cup to 1/3 cup mayonnaise

2 Tablespoons Major Grey’s Mango Chutney (or more)

a loaf of Amish Friendship Bread or zucchini bread

sliced or slivered almonds

paprika, salt and pepper

Cook chicken breasts completely. Chill well. Chop fine. Add the mayonnaise, chutney, salt and pepper to taste (add the wet ingredients gradually, until it is moist but not goopy.) Pile the chicken salad on pieces of the sweet bread. Sprinkle with almonds and paprika. Serve open faced with your favorite kind of tea.

14 comments for “tea room chicken salad

1. September 13, 2011 at 11:20 am

Thank you for sharing this recipe, Melissa!
    I used to go to The Tale of Two Sisters before it closed (actually talked to her about buying it!). I always wondered what the “secret ingredient” was in their delicious chicken salad. Now I know – it’s Mango Chutney! I’ll be on the lookout for it now to make an Heirlooms version…
    Have a blessed day!
    <3 Audrey

September 13, 2011 at 12:04 pm

You’re so welcome! I worked at Tale of Two Sisters. I bet I met you at some point! xoxo

2. Dana
    September 13, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I think I just drooled. Definitely going to try this one. I love the idea of putting the mixture on something like zucchini bread! Yummy!!!

September 13, 2011 at 4:13 pm

It’s my favorite recipe for chicken salad, hands down. We made gallons and gallons of it at the tea room. Everyone who tried it came back for more. Addictive! 🙂 Also good on cinnamon raisin bread, cranberry nut, and pumpkin!

3. chantelle
    September 15, 2011 at 11:43 am

Yum! I will definitely be trying this…thanks for sharing!! 🙂

September 15, 2011 at 11:45 am

you’re welcome!

4. Kimber Dunn
    September 18, 2011 at 10:00 pm

OHHHHHHH yummmmmmeerrrrrrrsss!!!!! Can’t wait to try this one!!

September 18, 2011 at 10:03 pm

enjoy! 🙂

5. December 27, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Melissa, this looks wonderful, can’t wait to try it for my next tea in April.

December 27, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Hello Shari! You are going to love it! Thanks so much for commenting! xoxoxo

6. Ruth Cobb
    September 17, 2013 at 4:22 pm

A bistro here in Elkins, WV, makes a chicken salad with red grapes. Love the fruit. This looks so good. Love mango. Thanks for posting.

September 17, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Hi Ruth! I made this all the time when I was working at out local tea room. This is the best version of chicken salad that I have ever tasted! and, SO darn easy! enjoy 🙂

7. Lisa
    January 18, 2017 at 9:53 am

Thanks for sharing! I’ve been to The Tale of Two Sisters when it was open. Too bad it closed. And I liked Chickadee Cottage in Lake City better when it was a tea house. I loved having afternoon tea there. I really need to try the tea experience at Wisteria Twig in Red Wing.

January 18, 2017 at 3:06 pm

I was lucky enough to get to work there for 8 years! And before that, The Buckingham Bee (now The Avalon) in the Avalon Mall downtown White Bear Lake. So yeah, about 10 years in the biz. Loved every single minute of it. I went on to create this blog and also wrote/photographed two feature articles for the national magazine “TeaTime.” (Hoffman Media.)

I love the Chickadee too. Yes, it was better as a tearoom, but I still try to get there once or twice a year.

Thanks so much for stopping by, Lisa.

XO,