cowboy caviar

cowboycaviarNEW-DSC_0054

~cowboy caviar~

There are a lot of ways you can make this. I’ve doubled the recipe and substituted a can of black eyed peas for one of the cans of black beans before…I’ve played with the spices and added tamari sauce and curry…this is the version I made this past weekend. Here’s a post that includes another version of this recipe that I just love. There’s also a great recipe that I got from the Good Earth Restaurant years ago called Winter Bean Salad that would fall into this category. My friend Clare calls this salad/salsa Cowboy Caviar. I think that’s such a cute title.

In a large bowl, combine:

1 (14.5 oz.) can organic black beans, drained and rinsed

1 (14.5 oz.) can organic, sweet corn, drained

1 (14.5 oz.) can  Muir Glen organic fire roasted, diced tomatoes, undrained

1/2 sweet orange bell pepper, chopped

4 scallions, chopped

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

1 teaspoon cumin powder

1 teaspoon onion powder

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or a fresh minced garlic clove

1 teaspoon dried, or 2 Tablespoons fresh, chopped parsley or cilantro

salt, freshly ground pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste

Serve over salad greens or with corn chips as a dip.

14 comments for “cowboy caviar

1. Cami
    May 11, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Looks yummy!! I think I’ll make this this week!! Thanks!!

May 11, 2011 at 3:23 pm

You’re welcome! Enjoy!

2. Kimber Dunn
    May 12, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I make a version of this too. (never the same twice so no recipe) It’s one of my favorites to serve with chips. YUM!!!

May 12, 2011 at 2:31 pm

a great recipe to make when entertaining too! Healthy, yummy and easy!

3. December 4, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Cumin cumin cumin! I can eat it w/a spoon…love this!!

December 4, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I know what you mean! The faster I make this stuff, the faster it gets eaten! So yummy and healthy. Also good with curry, if you’re a fan 😉
      xoxoxo

4. December 16, 2011 at 7:39 pm

You obvious agree that those fire roasted tomatoes can’t be beat! What a great way to use them! A fabulous salsa and chip recipe!

December 16, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Enjoy! xoxo

5. Sarah Rushbrook
    September 1, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Oh Melissa! I made this for dinner last night and it – was – SENSATIONAL! How bloody clever.

I forgot to buy the tinned corn, but I had corn on the cob so I roasted it in the oven and then cut it off the cob. It really bought out the sweetness in the corn.

I served it with a cajun spiced chicken breast and it was a winning combination. I have pics…

Thank you! <3

September 3, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Hi Sarah! So pleased you enjoyed this little salad! Delicious and easy, isn’t it? 🙂 Thanks for visiting! XO

6. Carole Applegarth
    July 12, 2014 at 7:48 pm

My recipe is different but I must say, any form of Cowboy Caviar is addicting:)

July 12, 2014 at 8:23 pm

I agree, Carol! 🙂 thanks for visiting and commenting! xo

7. Ruth Cobb
    May 10, 2015 at 8:50 am

Made this today for a Mother’s Day picnic with my daughter’s inlaws, their mothers, and my husband and daughter, brother and sister.

Haven’t served it yet but it was very good.

I mixed up a couple of ingredients I had read on another recipe, but used them anyway.
    black eyed peas. Didn’t have any balsamic vinegar but had balsamic vinigrette, used some zesty italian.

thank you for the recipe. I’ll post later to let you know how the crowd likes it.