huevos rancheros

~Huevos Rancheros~

Serves 5

5 homemade corn tortillas

10 cloves oven roasted garlic, peeled and mashed

1 can re-fried beans, heated

2 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

fresh lettuce or spinach, chopped

salsa (homemade is best)

5 large eggs, basted

10 slices of thick sliced bacon, fried until crispy

a handful of fresh cilantro, chopped

Sriracha hot sauce

salt and pepper

The very best corn tortillas are homemade. If you’ve never had fresh tortillas, you are in for a treat. HERE’s an easy RECIPE.

Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a cast iron or nonstick skillet. Heat tortillas, one at a time in the oil until they become soft and slightly crispy on both sides. Remove tortillas to individual plates.

Top each tortilla with ingredients in the following order:

a couple oven roasted garlic cloves, mashed and spread over tortilla evenly

heated re-fried beans

shredded cheddar cheese

lettuce or spinach

salsa

freshly basted egg

a couple strips of the bacon, crumbled over top

cilantro, Sriracha, salt and pepper to taste

6 comments for “huevos rancheros

1. Kimber Dunn
    January 21, 2011 at 9:54 pm

OMG this looks delicious!!!!

2. admin
    January 21, 2011 at 9:57 pm

one of our favorites. Enjoy 🙂

3. Cami
    March 25, 2011 at 11:49 am

Oh my…… that looks tasty!! TEN CLOVES OF GARLIC! Ambrosia!! I think you should come up with a garlic cookie recipe. Yep.

4. Melissa
    March 25, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Ten cloves of OVEN ROASTED garlic…don’t forget or that garlic will overpower the whole dish and people may start calling you Stinky 🙂 hee hee Hmmm, garlic cookies eh? Maybe a savory “cookie” to go with cheese and vino?

5. December 2, 2011 at 9:18 am

OMG, you had me at 10 cloves of garlic!! This looks amazing. And I totally want to tackle homemade tortillas – my husband would drop at my feet! Quick question – i don’t ever have shortening in the house…could i sub with butter or coconut oil?

December 2, 2011 at 9:23 am

Hi Justine!
      It’s one of our favorite breakfasts. I need my shot of protein in the morning. This is the only recipe where I use shortening. I think trying to substitute coconut oil might work! I’m going to try it. Shortening is so unhealthy. Thanks for the inspiration 🙂 I think butter would burn…hmmmm…I’ll get back to you on this. xo