rhubarb ketchup

FacebookPinterestGoogle+TwittertumblrEmail

rhubarbketchup

rhubarbketchup2

Sonny – “Frankenstein, what do you want?”
Julian – “30 packets of ketchup.”

From the movie Big Daddy starring Adam Sandler

My friend Sandy is so sweet! She sent me this YUMMY recipe for rhubarb ketchup. I know what you might be thinking….Rhubarb KETCHUP? Well, that’s what Jeff said…and then he tried it. He’s now a rhubarb ketchup enthusiast.

Rhubarb Ketchup is sweet and tangy and vinegary and a perfect substitute for, well, Heinz. It also tastes a bit like chutney, so you could try it in place of the mango Major Grey’s that a lot of people I know, including myself, always have at the ready in the fridge. I tweaked this recipe a little and decided to make 1/4 of the original recipe….

You’re gonna LOVE this ;)

Rhubarb Ketchup

1 cup fresh rhubarb, chopped

2 medium size, ripe tomatoes, chopped

1 small onion, chopped

1/4 cup vinegar (I used apple cider)

1/4 cup brown sugar

3 Tablespoons white sugar

3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

a couple turns of freshly ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a medium flame, stirring frequently until thick (30 to 45 minutes.)

Cool completely. Transfer to a canning jar or a salad dressing cruet. Keeps in the refrigerator up to two weeks.

10 comments for “rhubarb ketchup

1. Sandy Erdman
    June 29, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Wednesday, the Rochester Post Bulletin is going to have an article about a group of Lanesboro, MN residents who have created a new rhubarb flavored soda. The only recipe that I have is the Rhubarb juice/Rhubarb mash and you mix with sparkling water, soda water or ice teas. Will see what they have an send out….

2. June 29, 2010 at 6:26 pm

I have a recipe for rhubarb soda too. Would you like it? :)

3. Evelyn
    July 18, 2013 at 9:12 am

Thank you will definitely try this one

July 18, 2013 at 11:18 am

Hi, Evelyn! thanks for stopping by. Enjoy! :)

4. Kam Thornhill
    March 20, 2014 at 10:38 am

Up until the 1800′s ketchup was made nearly a hundred different ways but none of them with tomatoes…. I made a banana ketchup last year that I loved especially with pork burgers but it probably would be good to stir a Tbsp. or so into chicken salad , this year apart from this recipe, I plan on making cranberry ketchup and mushroom ketchup ;-)

5. Lynn Wall
    April 12, 2014 at 2:35 pm

if this rhubarb ketchup was made in the larger batch and bottled hot would it keep like other canning?

April 12, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Hi Lynn :) I’ve never tried canning this ketchup, but my guess would be yes, I think this would work.

Thanks for visiting! enjoy the recipe.

6. Terrianne
    July 22, 2014 at 9:32 pm

I made this recipe, actually doubled it as I have friends that expect to be ‘experimented” on. This is a major hit with everyone. I am going to try it without the onions (have friends that are allergic) and substitute a few jalepenos to spice it up. Was just wondering of this recipe could be frozen?

July 26, 2014 at 10:10 am

Hi there, Terrianne :)

I’m so glad you like the recipe!

I’ve never tried freezing this, but I can’t see why you wouldn’t be able to. This can also be canned via water bath method, if you do any canning.

Thanks for stopping by! Good luck!